April 28, 2009

Coffee for Sudan

I would totally lose on Jeopardy (I can't believe that show is still on TV!) if Alex gave me an answer about Sudan - much less find it on a world map. Don't tell my Grandmama that I'm so bad at world geography. At least I know how to tell a European where I live. . . always start with "Do you know where Texas is? My state is near there."

But that doesn't mean I can't help the war ravaged country - Sudan, not Texas.

A friend of mine at Annie Blogs is going to South Africa through the Mocha Club. It's so cool that I just donated two cups of coffee (well, I don't drink coffee, so make that two tall non-fat chai tea lattes, no whip) and am part of her adventure.


Most of our work will be in the township, Khayelitsha, outside of Cape Town. We will be constructing a Preschool Center/Sunday School for the mothers in the area who cannot afford to stay home with their children. This will allow the mothers to earn a living while having quality, free childcare for their children. We will also be spending time at the Living Hope Community Centre, which supports those infected with and affected by HIV/AIDS and Learn to Earn, a job-training program.

I'm praying that God will use her in a mighty way. I know her words will be powerful when she blogs about it. You'll want to follow.


Can you give up 2 mochas this month?


No comments: