April 15, 2009

Community Garden

I like to get my hands dirty.

I like to plant seeds and be reminded - I am small and God is the Master Gardner. . . I have to go through some 'dirt' to be made new. . . God must break me to flourish. . . I need the Son to grow.

I like sun-ripened, organic fruits and vegetables.

I like to grab a bucket and head out my back door to pick the fixings for a salad.

I like juice dripping from my chin as I eat a homegrown tomato over the sink.

My mouth waters when I think about this summer and my mind turns to the calendar. Is it time to plant yet?


We had a garden last year and it was wildly successful. It was a 6x9 space of dirt in our backyard, but it produced so much food that we gave away sacks full at a time to co-workers, neighbors, and friends. It produced veggies until mid-November. God blessed us with a beautiful bountiful harvest of every color and flavor. He truly is a God of variety and creativity!

We're expanding the garden this year and inviting some friends to join us. Our first meeting for the Community Garden was last night. The space has tripled, the variety of seeds and plants has increased, and schedules of planting and picking are being created. The kids are involved and excited, too. It will be a group effort and so much fun to share!

One thing we decided as a group was to give 1/10 of all the produce to our local food pantry. During my times of service there, I've noticed that most of the food is packaged and processed because it's cheap. Unfortunately, those in most need of a healthy, filling meal don't get it. Well, that's about to change thanks to our Community Garden!

Even if it's in large pots due to space or an acre of "corn so high as an elephant's eye, and it looks like it's climbin' clear up to the sky," (thanks to my Oklahoma roots for that one!) I urge you to start your own neighborhood or community garden. This will be a good starting place.
Dig In!

No comments: