April 29, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Dreams Really Do Come True

I'm sure most of you have been following Stellan's amazing story at My Charming Kids. If not, you need to check it out. It's amazing how the blogosphere has poured prayers out for this little guy. So glad to hear he's home and stable.

In a recent post of MckMama's (scroll down to the end), one of her readers mentioned an organization called Reece's Rainbow. On this site that is homemade with love, you'll find an amazing thing happening.


A couple of years ago we learned about the conditions and neglectful treatment of children in countries in Eastern Europe and many other countries who are disposed of in orphanages at birth just for having Down's Syndrome. We learned about an organisation that helps bring forever families to these precious children.

Reece's Rainbow is an International Down Syndrome Orphan Ministry and they have helped bring families for 176 (and counting) children in just three years.The reason this organisation became so important to us is that we were told our daughter had Down's Syndrome when she was born. The difference is our government did not force us to give her up. The children in these orphanages, if not adopted by age 4 or 5, are transferred to institutions where they live out their days being neglected and
never know the touch of a Mum and the love of a family. Their lives are admittedly quite short, once transferred. Roughly 85% die within the first year of being transferred from the baby homes to the mental institutions due to neglect and lack of basic medical care.


After reading some of the inspirational stories of this family and others that are making such a sacrificial and loving choice, I am confronted with my comfort meter - the little gauge on the odometer of my life that measures my needs and how well they're being met.

As I drive through life I glance under the steering wheel way too often. Not worried about being pulled over by the spa police ("You're not taking good enough care of yourself ma'am. I'm afraid we're going to have to bring you in for a complete makeover."), but more concerned about keeping up with the woman driver next to me.

And don't forget the other gauges on my dashboard - my emotions, my desires, my pride, and my needs. I can't seem to go anywhere or think about anything without checking my dashboard for MY stuff.

It's when I scroll through the photos and stories of the families that are trying to raise money to bring 'home' one of these precious children and make them part of their family that I realize I'm driving the wrong kind of car. I want to hop in one of their vehicles and drive down the yellow brick road awhile with them. Learn what it's like to be that giving, experience real love. I want to learn what it feels like to really live somwhere over the rainbow.

Will you help make one of these children's dreams come true?

No comments: