March 25, 2009

The Best Way to Deal with Hard Times

They've surrounded me and most of those that I love.
I haven't lost my job, but I've prayed for downsizing and interviews.
I haven't lost my child or had my spouse diagnosed with cancer, but my heart still aches and tears flow.
I haven't had trouble selling a home in this sick economy, but I drive by them every day.

I want to be a pig-tailed child in knee-high socks, running away with tiny fingers shoved in my ears, eyes tightly shut (opening barely as not to smack into a wall), singing the Smurf theme song in only 'La's' at the highest decibel. Then Choice stops me cold.

Mouth gaping, I realize I can't escape Choice. I've made one already, but here it is again. One question Choice speaks, yanking my tiny fingers away from my ears, "How will you deal with the hard times in your life?"

My initial response. . . is not chili, but it helped some during the Depression. The Hard Times Cafe is proof of that and given more credit than the Red Cross by some. Interesting comfort, but not lasting.

And even if I thought longer, I wouldn't change a much loved part of my wardrobe, having to spend more money. But this is obviously newsworthy and makes women feel taller in stature. I sense a Wonder Woman moment coming.

My honest gut. . . screaming "It's not fair!"

Wait for it. . . . .

Then, I would have a feeling of guilt and my self talk would kick in. "Others have it worse than I do. I need to do something nice for one of them." This is a RANDOM act of kindness.

Not what God calls us to do, unfortunately.

Out of the most severe trial, my overflowing joy and extreme poverty should cause generosity to well up inside of me with such richness that I overflow to ALL. (2 Corinthians 8:2 my version) Not something I naturally do, but what I am called to do. If I choose to ignore the hard times in my life then there is no real opportunity for generosity.


I guess I need to get my fingers out of my ears to hear these words of truth.
I want to overflow.

No comments: