March 24, 2009

Lent: Cupcakes or Jesus?

I've had cravings for a non-fat chai tea lattee with no whip on a chilly spring morning, a piece of dark chocolate that resides in my pantry and calls my name at random times during the night (even though dark chocolate is my hubbie's fave and not mine), or a cupcake. . . moist with lots of homemade frosting. But I haven't been craving Jesus.

I must confess, I've never given up anything for Lent. This will be a new kind of generosity for me. But this year I felt a tug at my heart to sacrfice the sugar and sweets in my life. I consider myself a healthy individual. . . some friends might even think I'm an 'Organic Granola Girl,' but sugar and sweets were becoming a daily occurance. Actually, a meal-y occurance.

I willingly went into this 40 day period before Easter hoping to prepare myself for my Risen King. I had BIG plans that every time I would have a craving for something sweet or given the opportunity to 'cheat' I would turn to Jesus, focus, and pray. I had high hopes that this Easter would be more meaningful than years before.

The first week was easy. I felt like God was strengthenging me for the challenge. Then an amazing thing started to happen. . . all of my clothes were fitting loser. It's a Lent Miracle! This is where I got distracted and made the experience about me. Summer shorts here I come!

When on a diet, I start to plan for the event when I can cheat (I'm sure you can't relate!) - that would be Easter lunch with my family. I've already been planning what I'll eat for dessert. Out of desperation I'll bring my own decadent dish, maybe more than one, since relying on others to bring what I'm craving might leave me frustrated and not able to truly celebrate. Of course I'm thinking of the rest of my family with this generous gift.

That's when the Holy Spirit got my attention: "What's your focus, cupcakes or Jesus?"

With Easter only a few weeks away, I began to ask myself: What am I praying for? The cravings to go away or Jesus to purify my body and soul so I can truly recognize His resurrection and the eternal life He gave me? Where is my focus? Storing up chocolate eggs and counting the days 'til feasting or the ultimate sacrfice that Jesus made for me?

I've learned a few things through this brief journey - my small sacrifice allows me to give my focus and attention, it's not about me and what I give or give up, and Jesus is splendid, has no equal, and no substitutes.

It's been a sweeter time than I expected, even without the cupcakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us what this season is all about! It's so much more comfortable to choose the "cupcakes"--the things we think will fill that place inside us looking for something more. It's easy, instant. It's so much harder to choose the cross of Christ. It's difficult, painful. But in the end, so worth it.

Someone You May Know said...

You summed up my thoughts so well! Thanks for reading. I hope you encounter the true sweetness of the season.