March 02, 2009

Would You Read This?

That's what I've been wondering. . . would you read this? I can't seem to imagine that you would, so I've been putting it off. I figured nothing would really be missed if I wasn't writing it. (Truly, this isn't a pity party or a hint for a compliment, but honest emotion.)


During the Christmas season, I can understand a few people reading it, but after the first of the year does anyone think about giving? And now with the economy, world events, and the panic that is in the hearts of most of the world about our jobs, mortgage payments, and trying to not buy as many Starbucks per week . . .I don't know, I just made assumptions. That's my first excuse.


The other is fear. I've had a clinched fist. I'll admit it. I was afraid of what maintaining a generous spirit would cost me. I honestly didn't want to give of my time . . . but more importantly, I didn't want to keep 'giving' on the front of my mind. I didn't want to be 100% sold out with my stuff, my money, my home, my car. . . you know the goods. I enjoy giving and find so much pleasure in it, but to give sacrificially or to completely rely on God that He will provide beyond what I can give. It's tough.


Don't get me wrong, this little experiment that God had me do for the month of December was amazingly refreshing to my spirit and worth every minute (and penny!). So, what in the world was wrong with me?


After much prayer and soul searching, the question that kept coming to my mind was, "Why not?!" If it was so wonderful and life changing for the first 25 days, why not enjoy making it a lifestyle? (I can feel more of myself dying. . . ouch.)


Writing The Generosity Experiment would mean I would have to look for opportunities that God is giving me to be generous and then follow through with it. It's hard to do that every day, but it's what I'm asked to do. Take the focus off of myself and LOVE. Gulp.


I'm taking the leap. Are you brave enough to read it and be changed?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said, "During the Christmas season, I can understand a few people reading it, but after the first of the year does anyone think about giving?" The answer would probably be, "not as muc, not as often." But I think that's why we need this...to bring it back into focus so we don't relegate giving to a certain time of year.
Also, with the economy being the way it is, all of us are feeling the urge to hold on tighter when letting go may be just what we need. So, help us out. (:
A series of posts I'd be interested in reading: What does being generous look like for each of the Five Love Languages?

Someone You May Know said...

Great idea about the 5 Love Languages! Thank you for your positive words and encouragement. I hope others feel the same way and God can use this blog (and you!) to give to those in need.

Eyvonne said...

For the record, I'm glad your back. I missed reading your stories and the inspiration it provided. I used one of your posts to supplement a Sunday School lesson. Don't get discouraged!

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered this blog, and I am really, REALLY hoping you'll continue to post. I love the idea of a series on the Five Love Languages. Also...I've been wanting to incorporate random acts of kindness with my children. (They're only 5 and almost-3.) I've thought of several ideas that involve spending money and giving, but what about gifts from the heart? And ideas geared towards younger children would be GREAT! I've googled it many times, and come up with nothing.