December 18, 2008

Day 18 - 2 Little Words

The parking lot. Just the words bring dread to most people during the holiday season, including me. Not simply because it's cold and wet, with huge puddles to avoid in my winter boots or because the blustery wind might blow my hair in crazy directions (and I somehow can never repair it for the rest of the day). But because it's pure chaos trying to find a space closest to the door.

I braved Walmart yesterday afternoon for a new cookie sheet. (Call me crazy, but it was time to replace mine that is rusting and unsightly!) In a matter of 2 minutes my theory was proven in the parking lot.

By the way, my theory is that most people think their vehicle is a huge force field that makes them invisible. Their vehicle keeps them incognito, allowing them to do things they might not normally do face to face. What evidence do I have to prove this theory, you ask? I'm sure you've experienced people picking their nose while at a stop light, singing at the top of their lungs to the radio, or leaning on their horn when things don't go just their way. I rest my case.

In a matter of moments in the Walmart parking lot. . . First,there was a huge diesel truck that was blazing through the lot and honked his deep fog horn as a woman in a compact car was trying to carefully back out. There was the 'space shark.' You know, the driver that slowly lurks through the parking lot and follows every person with a full shopping cart, hoping that their space will be the closest to the door, causing a traffic jam behind her and not taking the space if it's too far out. And then there was the SUV driver that made sure all shoppers standing at the crosswalk knew he was in a hurry and was going to drive over them if he needed to, completely ignoring the sign that said 'yield to pedestrians' sitting among the bright yellow crosswalk lines.

Can you feel the Christmas spirit?

As I caught myself at the crosswalk, waiting for the SUV to pass by as not to be run over (I don't want to spend the holidays dead!), I realized that any parking lot for the next week will be a great test of Generosity.

What if I passed the space closer to the door and gave it to the 'space shark?' (There are side benefits to Generosity. . . I don't know about you but I've fallen off the wagon when it comes to what I eat. Cookies? You betcha! Another scoop of casserole? Why not?! So, what will it hurt if I walk a few more feet to the store doors? Maybe January won't be so hard this way.) What if I patiently waited in my car for every vehicle to back out before me or pass by before I pulled out of my space? What if I waited on every pedestrian, even if they looked like they could take awhile? What if when someone honked at me, I waved and smiled, and prayed that their Christmas would be special? What if I brought Jesus with me to the parking lot?

What will your 'give' be as you drive to complete all of your last minute Christmas errands?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was is it Liberty Mutual commercials that showed people observing the acts of kindness done by others, which in turn prompted them to be kind?

Can't help thinking these random acts of generosity will have the same effect.

Thanks for another great post.