December 07, 2008

True Peace & Rest

It's Sunday. As I was showering this morning (where I do some of my best thinking) I was planning all the things I was going to do today. Then it hit me. This is my day of rest. This is the day that I'm supposed to be fixated on Jesus. It's not a suggestion, it's a command that I need to be obedient for my own good. If I go 24/7 it's not healthy or helpful to anyone.

But to be honest, that doesn't work into my schedule easily with everything I need to get done for the holidays. Now that's an ironic statement and something I'm sure grieves God. I'm trying to prepare my home, my family, my gifts, and my heart for Christmas and I'm missing the entire reason Christ was born into this world - to give me eternal rest and peace that starts now.

I'm sure rest is a 'give' that God is trying to give me but I don't seem to accept it well. To relax is not wrong, but sometimes it's difficult. To have true rest in my spirit is hard, but can be accomplished. I do want true peace this Christmas - the kind that I don't feel for a few minutes first thing in the morning when the world is not yet awake, but the kind that radiates from within me. The peace that starts in my heart because Jesus Christ has saved me and taken over my life, my sin, and my worries, and given me peace and rest in exchange.

I don't want to become a do-gooder with no love or a busy giver without peace. If I'm not connected to the source of Love, then what good are my actions. If I'm only busy running from one giving opportunity to the next, how am I any different than those that don't have the love of Christ in them and are only doing 'gives' out of guilt.

Maybe this is one of my personal 'gives' to God ---- taking a day of rest. But the funny thing is, that I benefit, too! Isn't that like our Savior? To ask us to do something for Him and yet we are so blessed because of it.

What do you do on Sundays to rest, enjoy peace, and stay connected to Jesus?

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I enjoy going to church, being with others who believe the same way I do. I love to be out in nature. I like to take a nap and read, to really rest from the week's worries.