December 01, 2008

Countdown to Christmas - A New Kind of Advent

It’s Thanksgiving afternoon and we’re on our way home from my in-laws. My thoughts and the conversation in the car quickly transitions to Christmas - getting the decorations out of the attic, what time to set the alarm for Black Friday, and the plans for the next 4 weeks. I’m already anticipating Christmas morning. But somewhere deep down inside - at a soul level - I feel like a Christmas tree that’s just been put up in the living room and her ornaments have become dull and lost their luster. I don’t want this Christmas season to be just about gifts, food, and family. I don’t want Christmas to be predictable. I want this December to be different. I want to keep my focus on Jesus’ birthday. I want sparkle back in my Christmas!


I consider myself a pretty giving person. I’m sure you do, too. But due to the economic events in our country, and now the world, I’ve been wondering what true generosity looks like. I’ve been praying for God to show me how He thinks about it. I found some great verses where He talks about just that in 1 Corinthians. One that stood out - ‘God will give you many opportunities to do good, and He will produce a great harvest of generosity in you.“


Then it hit me, this is the perfect time of the year to do a little challenge: starting Dec 1st, my countdown to Christmas will be to pray that God would show me every day an opportunity where I can truly give, that He will teach me what true generosity is, and that He would reap all of the honor and praise. What could be a better birthday present for Jesus?


As we were driving along, I started thinking about how to take the challenge as a family and what it would look like in daily life. One thing I quickly recognized is I have to do my part and be prepared. :



  • There are different types of giving - time, money, serving, gifts, food, hospitality, patience, etc.

  • Different types of people - family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, strangers, etc.

  • I had to pray for the opportunities and listen

  • I had to think in advance what I might need - cash in my pocket for those without, time to research ministries and organizations that need my time or money this season, or the forethought to recognize what was already in my closets not being used.

  • I wanted to document my experience to keep me accountable, to keep focused every day, and help me to remember next year how God had worked in our lives.

  • I wanted to share this idea with you and hopefully have you join me in this Generosity Experiment

So, I’m off to the bank to withdraw some cash so my husband and I will have money in our pockets for the next giving opportunity, followed by a Christmas shopping trip to the mall where I’m sure I will have plenty of chances to open doors for others, allow someone in front of me in line, drop more than some change in the Salvation Army kettle, and even buy lunch for the person behind me in the line at the food court.


Will you do the Generosity Experiment with me? Please let me know if you do. I’ll be posting my stories along with yours’. I’d love to hear your ideas, too, of creative ways to give. I can’t wait to see what God does through us this Christmas season.

No comments: