December 05, 2008

Day 5 - Puppy Poo & Kisses, Too! Oh My.

Last night did not go as I had planned. It was bitter cold (and still is!) and looked like it could snow. I wanted to go home after work, finish decorating my tree, and have a relaxing evening cuddled up in a blanket - maybe even watch a Christmas movie with my husband.

Pop! What was that sound - oh yea, my bubble bursting.

Our friends and family are NOT perfect. I know, shocking huh? I'm sure you can't relate at all. (Smirk.) We got a phone call yesterday from a friend asking if we could buy a very expensive puppy for them and they would pick it up on Saturday and pay us for it then. They live a few hours away. (My thoughts immediately went to 'How many nights of crying and whining is that?!') My husband, being the service oriented guy that he is, quickly agreed.

So, after going Christmas shopping for a few hours last night (trying to avoid the situation), I was greeted at the door by a cute little dog, a wagging little tail, and puppy breath kisses. She's adorable - which helps the situation. She reminds me of the dog on Lady and The Tramp. Not that I should name her and get too attached, but I've been calling her Lady anyway. A dog with no name is just sad.

But as the compassionate woman that I am, in the last few hours I've helped clean up messes in the floor, found toys for her to play with, and gave up my favorite blanket for her bed. (It was the only one that I thought probably felt most like her mother and would help her sleep.)

We got a phone call later in the evening to let us know that the friend that's supposed to pick up the puppy on Saturday is having problem paying her rent. . . and may want us to foot the very expensive bill for the dog. Ugh. It was like a kick in the stomach, to both of us. Here we were, trying to help someone give their children a memorable Christmas and come to find out we may be conned. We didn't talk much about it (sometimes those things take awhile to sink in) but we're hoping for the best on Saturday.

I did have an epiphany about the situation and true Generosity around 2AM. It was the 4th time that I was up, in my fuzzy robe and slippers, to stop Lady from crying. I held her every time, stroked her white and reddish-brown fur, and prayed that she would quickly go to sleep, so I could, too. More than once through the night I was awoken in the recliner by puppy kisses and a small wimper. There are perks to every situation. But enough sweet mushy stuff. . . back to the epiphany.

The thought crossed my mind, 'Why am I doing this? Why do I care?' Then I remembered a verse "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." Matthew 5:42 Ouch. Those verses are painful to the justice that resides in me. The part of me that says 'That's not fair! Why should we be taken advantage of?!'

So far we are giving to those that have asked of us and hoping for the best. But it's not easy. (Big SURPRISE! No one said it would be.) We're praying for guidance and what to do on Saturday, no matter what happens. But I'm sure there is a reason for all of it, even if I can't see it at the moment.

If nothing else, it's nice to have unspoiled love from one of God's precious creatures.

3 comments:

tootie said...

Good point! I had a "it's not fair moment" recently, and after reading your post, now I'm looking at the situation differently. It changes everything when we choose to be generous!

Eyvonne said...

What a beautiful idea! I am truly inspired. I think this blog is a wonderful idea and I will be following daily.

So often I long for a way to make the Christmas season more memorable, and you have found a simple yet very profound way.

Hat's off to you.

To God be the glory!

E. Tyler Rowan said...

I just found you, and could not resist reading through the entire blog from start to finish. You are taking action on the very thing that's been on my heart! I will be linking to you in my post tomorrow.

Thanks for inspiring others to be generous, and more importantly - thanks for being obedient to His gentle whispers and blessing those around you.