December 16, 2008

Stunned

Have you ever been stunned? I mean stopped dead in your tracks, the room's noise and surroundings grow dim, and your stomach turns or your face get flushed?

That happened to me today. I was working with a friend of mine and she received a phone call from her husband. It was strange for him to call in the middle of the day, so she picked it up. What followed was a distant stare on her face and a lot of "Uh huh"s and "Okay." I didn't want to intrude, but she seemed concerned.

I asked, "Is everything okay?" She replied, "Oh, he's fine. He was calling to tell me about a woman at our church and a ham that we're going to give her. It's so sad. Her husband walked out on her for another woman. She has five kids from 4-17 yrs old. She's stayed home with them throughout their marriage, has no work experience, and is now working as a cashier at Walmart trying to make ends meet."

That's when I was stunned.

Questions zipped out, as I asked, "Is he paying child support?" Before she even answered, I had a hunch what the answer would be. "No," she said with disgust. "He moved to another state and they don't even know where he is. Her family isn't helping her out either. She's very much alone in this terrible situation."

My heart was ripped out yet pounding in my ears. I can't imagine going through such heartache with my husband leaving and for another woman. I can't imagine trying to support 5 children and explain to them what's going on, while reassuring them that God cares for them more than their earthly Father. I can't imagine the worry and fear I would feel trying to reenter the work force and wondering if I would be able to keep my family off the streets.

I was stunned, but God wasn't.

I know that she is not exactly a widow, even though she has been left by herself, and the children aren't technically, orphans since they have their mother, but I think that when God says "Religion that [He] accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress" completely applies to this situation and so many that are similar.

The good news is our church is aware of it and is helping the family. I will be talking to my husband tonight about how we can be part of the solution. But what family in your neighborhood, church, or child's school is going through a similar circumstance right now?

Please pray for this family and all of those that are suffering from a broken heart this Christmas.

No comments: