December 01, 2008

Day 1 - My Thoughts

It seems like giving opportunities are coming at me from every angle. It's exciting but I’m having a hard time concentrating on my REAL job and feeling scattered.


Bruce Almighty was on TV last night. The feeling I have reminds me of scene where Jim Carrey is given all the powers of God and begins to hear the prayers of the world. He’s overwhelmed and can’t make out any of the voices or specific requests. He decides to answer ‘Yes’ to all of them. You remember what happens next, the world goes into chaos and millions of people have to share the lottery winnings. Believe me, I’m not implying that I’m God, but I do love to learn from the underlying themes of movies.


When I’m focused on the needs of others, it can be overwhelming and quickly creates in me the urge to help EVERYONE I meet. At this rate I could easily give up, since the goal seems much larger than my capacity to help or my resources to do it. I'm not going to stop world hunger by tomorrow morning. I'm not going to make sure every child has a gift this Christmas. I'm not going to be able to fund every wonderful ministry.



But I can start listening to the small voice inside that is answering my prayers and directing me to those in the most need - the ones that I was planned to help from the beginning. I can only do my part --- and the same goes for you. Take a deep breath with me, calm your spirit, and focus on the One that can truly give to those in need.

No comments: