December 09, 2008

Day 9 - Mission: Secret Elf

My mom called yesterday to let me know that my dad has bacterial pneumonia. Poor guy! I'm proud of him for going to the doctor, though, instead of trying to tough it out and still go to work, like he normally does. When Buddy the Elf says "to spread Christmas cheer loud and clear," I don't think that's what he had in mind. Cough, cough. The only good thing out of this is he won't be sick on Christmas and hopefully we can all enjoy the holidays together - without infecting each other like in years past.

During the conversation, my mom asked me what we had been up to. I proceeded to tell her about the Christmas parties and baking for the neighborhood cookie exchange. She asked, "Did you finish decorating your tree?" I knew where this was headed. I answered, "Yes." but knew that wasn't helping her feel any more at peace. Her response implied that she was way behind and almost in panic mode about Christmas. She knew that there were 16 days until Christmas, "actually 14," she reminded me, "since you all will be here and I want to have everything ready and beautiful by then." She hasn't decorated the house yet and hasn't had a chance to go Christmas shopping for any gifts.

My heart ached, not just for her predicament - feeling behind with her Christmas preparations and taking care of my Dad while he's sick (which she willingly and lovingly does!) - but because I no longer live in the same town as my parents and can't help out.

I used to be able to run over after work or on a Saturday afternoon and help with whatever needed to be done. And since mom has ALWAYS been there for me (staying a week when we moved to help unpack boxes and decorate our new home, driving 3 hours to see me when my husband was out of town, helping me do landscaping at every house I've lived in. . . well, you get the idea. She's very loving and giving!)

So, I called my grandmother this morning and started scheming. "Lets be secret elves!" I told her, as I gave her the update on the situation. "Lets drive down Friday night. Then on Saturday we can help her decorate her house and put the tree up. What do you think?" She was immediately on board and excited about the idea. But my grandmother is a spontaneous, generous person anyway, so this was an expected response. (Hopefully, Dad will be feeling better and back to work by the end of the week.)

Mission Secret Elf has commenced. We're driving the sleigh down Friday and putting our Christmas Cheer skills to work!


Is there anyone that you can help with their Christmas preparations? I'm sure there is a busy single mom, a friend that's been sick, or a co-worker that has been traveling too much for their job that you could help decorate their home or shop for their gifts. You can add Christmas cheer to someone's spirit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another way to give this year and sow into GOD's kingdom and the apple of His eye:


http://myolivetree.com/my-olive-tree/home