December 07, 2008

Day 7: How to Give Back During the Holidays

I was on a trip for work recently and had the rare opportunity to read a magazine for fun. Isn't it delectable when that happens?! My choice was Real Simple, one of my favorites. It was the December issue, so the cover was bright red and very simple, of course, with old glass ornaments and one strand of green ribbon.

In the front of the magazine, where the table of contents and editorial notes are, I just happened upon an article that impacted my thinking. (This is funny to me since I rarely, if ever, read this section in a magazine. Usually I start at the back of the magazine and work my way forward.)

Just a small tangent: This article proves I find what I need when I'm really searching for it. That's the way this entire experiment has been so far. I'm focused on giving, so there seem to be a plethora of opportunities that arise daily. I wonder if those opportunities were always there and I didn't see them before Dec 1st, because I was too busy with my schedule and my life? Or is God providing the opportunities for generosity because I'm finally ready to listen and act quickly?

As a friend of mine used to say, anywho. . . back to the story.

The editors at Real Simple asked their readers a question: 'How do you give back during the holidays?' The answers and ideas were so intriguing, and one of the inspirations for this blog, that I thought I would share some of the ideas throughout the next 18 days. (That's how many days are left 'til Christmas. Don't panic. Get a paper bag and take deep breaths. It's going to be OK.)

Andrea Brown from Springdale, AR adapted a holiday tradition from The Ultimate Gift. (A great movie by the way, and something I hadn't thought of to watch during the holidays.) Her family would decide at Thanksgiving an amount of money to put aside, then they would secretly spend it in a random, kindhearted way. They each had until Christmas Eve to complete the task, and reveal to the rest of the family on Christmas Day. What a great tradition to start now and continue every year! (I found other interesting products, besides the DVD, that you need to check out while you're doing your Christmas shopping.)

Connie Hanks in San Diego, California bakes two extra pies and delivers them to her local fire station. It's a small way to show appreciation for all of their hard work and sacrificial dedication to your community. You can also do this for your local police station, too, even if they did stop you last month for going a few miles over the speed limit!

Beth Groner from Clifton, Virginia convinced her coworkers to bring a wrapped gift for Toys for Tots in lieu of presents for an office gift exchange. You can do the same things with your coworkers, small group at church, or your neighbors. It's amazing what toys you can buy for under $10, so every child will have a smile on their face Christmas morning.

1 comment:

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

You can also ask people to bring a non-perishable food item instead of a dish to a potluck. Then take the collected canned goods to the local food bank. They really need it this time of year.