December 10, 2008

Day 10 - Thankful Giver

Not much has happened today. I'm not saying that it hasn't been a good day, just uneventful in the are of giving. I'm accustomed to opportunities to give coming at me right and left. Today seemed much quieter. Maybe it's me. .

I know that I'm tired. I feel like I've experienced 5 days in 3. Know that feeling? I think the Christmasing is catching up with me. I work a full time job and then come home and address Christmas cards, bake 4 dozen cookies for the neighborhood cookie exchange, shop for gifts and wrapping, keep up with the laundry. . .well you know what I'm talking about. Every person is feeling it in some way or another. It's all wonderful and things I enjoy experiencing, but I am feeling the need for some quality time to relax.

As I've been looking back over the day, here is what I've observed and learned;
- the elderly man standing behind me in line at Walmart was an opportunity to share a warm smile and take the time to have a much needed conversation
- that the change left in the self checkout line register was not meant for me and could make someone else's day, so I left it
- that the Salvation Army bell ringer remembering me and my gifts over the last week was fun
- and that extra warm cookies from the cookie exchange preparations to my husband is pure LOVE.

The other thing I'm observing while I'm on this journey - and almost halfway complete with The Generosity Experiment - is that I'm becoming a thankful giver. It's really exhilarating to know that I'm part of something much bigger than myself and that God is using me, to change others and myself for the better. God loves a cheerful giver and that's exactly what He's making me, more lovable.

But if I want more opportunities to give of myself and to make a difference for Jesus this Christmas, I need to devote myself to prayer, being watchful and thankful (my version of Colossions 4:2) for the opportunities to give from Him. I must stay connected to the Source of all giving and rely on Jesus for the opportunities and the energy to give, and not on my good intentions.

1 comment:

tootie said...

I loved your observations. It just shows that all it takes is something little (a smile, a brief conversation) to make someone's day!